Florida, USA

Старые поля

• Номер или название школы
    Florida International University
  • Населённый пункт
    Florida
  • Стаж работы в школе
    меньше пяти лет
  1. I've just looked through your site "grammar worksheets" and I'm delighted. I feel something interesting is waiting for me. I'm going to read it thoroughly. Thank you.

2. Как писать эссе

Radislav, Harry, Valentina, and others. I don't know if my previous post went through, but here is another try. I posted and essay (in-class) from a student who was well-prepared. The following essay is from a native speaker (from one of the Caribbean islands) who is not very prepared to handle college writing. As it is, the essay reflects an improvement from when she started the class. ************************************************************ I remember the first time I took my girls to daycare at Martin Luther King under the metro rail. The name of the school was Family Christian Association of America (FCAA). I met a teacher who really look mean and didn’t really speak to anyone until one day, when the director transferred my daughter to her class, the first thing came out of my mouth was I don’t want my daughter in that ladies class. Two months went by and I started to get to know her a little bit, so one day she said to me, “can I talk to you about where you work, “I said okay she asked me if I like my job I said yes. The next thing she asked me do I have a High school Diploma I said yes, she said what about a college degree I said no, she said I don’t mean to get personal about your business, but you seem like a hard working lady, and McDonalds don’t seem like a bright future to look forward to. She said have you ever thought about going to college I said yes but not right now. We talked about several hours until I ask her what is your name, she said Hilary Rowe I felt like she was a nosy short lady who never minded here own business, which in my heart I know she was right about everything I really just said thank you for the advice. Mrs. Rowe was a short with brown skin and Indian hair, who had a deep Jamaican accent, one of her hand had an extra finger, when I really got to know her, I found out she was a very sweet and generous lady. I can always remember Mrs. Rowe because she taught me how important college is. I remember one day picking up the girls from school and I was so tired, that I could hardly moved, so Mrs. Rowe replied I am going on my break to get an application and enroll you in collaged so you find a better job, she almost sounded like my parents for a minute, which I got frighten, because she reminded me of my dad, he always made those same remarked to me. She did go an get the application the next day and had me to fill them out, also took me to get registered for college, and help when I needed it with studying. I truly believe Mrs. Rowe has a good heart, because everyone she comes in contact with loves her a lot. All the other teachers look up to her for advice as well as spiritual guidance. I think that’s why people react to her in a certain way is that she really is spiritual person, not only that she is a giving and forgiving person, because when people make her angry she just smiles like nothing is wrong, and later prays about it, and pray for that Individual. My father met her one time and told me she have a sweet spirit that warms his heart. Mrs. Rowe really taught me a valuable lesson about the Importance of a college education, because without college its very hard to achieve your goals in life as well as success. Not every job in the world requires that you have a high school diploma; they also ask do you have some kind of college background, or degree. In my opinion I really can apply a few things in my life, such as going back to college for me changed my life because it really made me see how important college is, also without a degree you cannot get a decent job, or promotion. What she did for me was letting me know the facts of life without a college education. *************************************************************************** The student had one week to write the essay on the topic "A person who had an impact on my life." As you can see, there are multiple errors. The range in abilities and preparation of students varies greatly, sometimes even in the same class. The writer is in her mid-40's and works full-time. Se is making a tremendous effort to accomplish her goals. I hope and pray that readers of this post have managed to stay safe from the heat and fires. We read about it here, but I cannot imagine what some of you are going through. All the best, Jose (Ya niem-noga punimayo pa-Ruski) -- I am learning, slowly!
  3. Как писать эссе

Everything! What I stress with my students, as much as I can, is syntactic variety and details. The needs and expectations are different, though.
  4. Как писать эссе

Radislav, that is unfortunate. You are correct. You really can't "have as many paragraphs in the essay as there are arguments in it and you can't open every argument with a text mechanics device." The essay would sound choppy and mechanical.
  5. Как писать эссе

It really depends on the level of training, the ability of the students to compose sentences in English and to articulate those ideas in a short amount of time. Two tasks in 60 minutes, even though the amount of writing is relatively small, seems more challenging than writing only about one thing. But it also depends on the purpose of the exam.
  6. Как писать эссе

Certainly.... Let me start with a very competent essay, written in class, in 60 minutes by a student who comes from the type of background I mentioned to you. She was about 26 years old when she took my class, working a full-time job, and raising a daughter by herself. The students were given the topic ahead of time and could refer only to a small index card, where they could have a general pattern of organization. Topic: A cause or organization that deserves our support. ################## Imagine watching a commercial that always made you cry. Well it has happened to me and when I watch it my convictions are so overwhelming. My heart tells me that I can make a difference to help save those innocent little lives of children dying from catastrophic diseases such as cancer. Although there are many causes and organizations that deserve our support, the one I feel deserves our support the most is St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. To begin with, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is one of the premier hospitals when it comes to research in this nation. It opened in 1962, ushering a new era in pediatric research and treatment. Over the past forty six years, with singular purpose, St. Jude has led the advance in finding cures for and treating those with childhood cancers or other catastrophic diseases. Their mission- to find cures for children with catastrophic diseases through research and treatment is a constant driving force. Some of their clinical studies include Brain Tumors, Hematological Disorders, Infectious Diseases, Leukemia’s and Lymphomas, Inherited Immunodefiencies, Solid Tumors, and rare diseases. The scientists have worked along side of the doctors in trying to find these cures. At St. Jude you are never turned down because of your families’ inability to pay. They are there to help everyone that comes fight their life-threatening illness. They don’t just treat them, but they do a lot of research to help them survive. Next, I would like to add that the survival rate in the present vs. 1962 has nearly tripled. This alone is a blessing. The hospital has even won a Nobel Prize for its advancement in research and finding cures. I believe that Nobel Prize was well deserved because they are so amazing. When you watch the commercial it’s almost hard not to cry. These are precious little children, and because of St. Jude’s, they have a better chance to live. These children haven’t even experienced life yet, or at least not much of it. It’s so sad to see what they’re going through. The amazing thing is that you can also see in these children their will to fight and live. They are so strong to be able to go through all the symptoms of cancer and even treatments. I give them so much credit for that. My feelings and the reason I believe it’s most deserving of our support is because I have a healthy seven year old beautiful little girl, and so do many others in this country. Most of us have children. What if our children got sick with a life-threatening illness? How would we feel and where would we take them? Well, I guarantee you, it would feel devastating, and we would more than likely take them to St Jude Children’s Research Hospital. So why not invest in this organization now? I have an uncle who had Hodgkin’s disease as a child, and two aunts with Breast Cancer. Although they are fighting cancer, they’ve already lived a good portion of their lives; however these children have not. In conclusion, for just 62 cents a day/ $19.00 a month we could help these innocent children’s’ chances of survival. That’s less than a can of soda a day. We could even make a one time tax-deductible donation if we’d like. I’ll tell you from doing research on this cause, I have already partnered with them. How could I not? ############################ The essay is reproduced largely as she wrote it. I will follow up with an essay that is even better, and one that is not so good. Thank you again for the interest!
  7. I could say the history, the literature, the rhythm and sound of the language. But I always just felt admiration and awe for things Russian. But I really do enjoy the sound of spoken Russian. It's like music to me -- like some Spanish speakers listening to Argentinians speak.
  8. Sounds like a good book. I wonder if it's too late in life to learn Russian well enough to read and communicate. I must make this a goal of mine and follow through!
  9. Как писать эссе

Harry, I teach English Composition at the college and university level. Some of my students are native speakers, but many are not. I love in Miami, Florida. In Miami, we have students from all over the world, but primarily from Latin America and the Caribbean. Many students here, native and non-native speakers alike, come from environments where academic formation is not stressed. Some are the first in their families to engage in any formal education beyond secondary, sometimes even primary, school. What am I implying here? I teach native and non-native speakers, but the educational level of both is not usually what one expects or desires of students attending post-secondary education. Valentina saw some writings that students posted as part of their class assignements, and I think she was surprised by how poorly some of them wrote. It is a challenge to develop writing skills in 8, 12, or 16 weeks. As for my being an expert!!!! Well, I consider myself, at 50 years of age, to be a perpetual student. What little I have gleaned from formal education and from teaching, I would like to share. I recognize, however, that what I know for my students may not apply to students learning English in Russia. I appreciate your questions, but I would not presume to know what is "right" for developing your students' writing skills. I can speak only from my experience and training. I have graded state and national exams (called the CLAST -- state of Florida -- and AP (Advanced Placement). Students are usually given a fairly general prompt, for example, "A place you would like to visit but may not appeal to others," and they are expected to write a 400 - 500 word essay in 60 minutes. Most essays I read were mediocre, with a brief, 4-5 sentence introduction, a thesis statement at the end of the introduction and 2- 4 development paragraphs with w brief conclusions. Some were horrible, with little organization, no ideas, and abysmal grammar. Some were spectacular, essays that displayed a perceptive mind, creative thinking, and full command of advanced rhetorical skills. The 60-minute time limit, while short, does allow for students to be scored. The 60-minute time limit is useful for administrative purposes, as an evaluative tool. Please forgive the ramblings, but I do appreciate the opportunity to communicate with colleagues in Russia. I can only dream to visit some day. Jose
  10. Как писать эссе

Radislav, what an EXCELLENT example you provide of the way American (and British) teachers of compostion try to impress on students. However, if I had been the instructor, I would have been impressed that you used the very real example of the Berlin Wall and its fall. It seems that you gave her Doestoyevsky, where she (or he) wanted Tolstoy (in an abbreviated manner!). Jose
  11. Как писать эссе

Hmm.... Valentina, the topic itself lends itself to generalities, and with a word limit of 175 - 275 words, the best one can hope for is for a competent essay written at a very general level. If the students can handle the extra writing, I would recommend increasing the word limit to 400 - 500 words. This increased word limit allows a student to supply one or two specific examples. The essay itself is competent, especially the long paragraph. But really, do the words "In my opinion" advance the writer's argument. A teacher, or any reader, knows that the opinions expressed are those of the writer, unless the writer attributes his or her idea to someone else. All the best, Jose
  12. Как писать эссе

In terms of American rhetoric, the essays are solid. They are organized and the writing is clear. I would encourage the students to use real examples. For example, when one student writes that the service for domestic tourists is bad, I wold ask that student to use a specific instance, in a specific locale, with real names and prices. That is the kind of specif examples that make essays meaningful, at least to instructors trained in at American Universities :-) Jose
  13. Как писать эссе

Thank you Lyudmila. It is a work in progress and I hope to improve the quantity and quality of the worksheets, considering that I use them in my own classes! Some of the links help too. For advanced students, the worksheets on nominalizations and strong verbs provide a good challenge. Thank you for your comment. Jose
  14. Как писать эссе

You are correct, and thank you for reading the worksheet. I hope you can find use for it in the classes you teach. Expressions such as "in my opinion," "I believe that," and "it is my belief that" do not really advance the writer's argument. At least in American rhetoric, these expressions tend to create doubt about the credibility of the author. After all, an essay is, in a sense, an opinion - the author's opinion. There is no need to overemphasize it. Jose :-)