Перейти к содержимому

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Try again. By the way, "deceasing" is hardly ever used in this form, it is normally not an active action verb.

If not "deceasing" then it should be "deceased".I had mentioned it in brackets...

Поделиться сообщением

Today I came across this sentence whch I used to give my students in order to find out their standard of knowledge in English... There are at least five mistakes in it...Try to find and correct them....

"Here I pondered over the events of the last few days, and strong enough, instead of feeling rested from sitting or laying down, now I began to feel jaded and worn, but a hot meat of vention stew soon put me right, so than I could sleep. :)

Поделиться сообщением

If not "deceasing" then it should be "deceased".I had mentioned it in brackets...

Oh yes. It was deceased in the original, I had a typo, sorry, my fault.

Поделиться сообщением

When his fellowship expired he was offered a rectorship at Boxworth... on condition that he would marry the sick rector's daughter :)

Almost there, the problem is with the mood, just a slightly different form.

Поделиться сообщением

Today I came across this sentence whch I used to give my students in order to find out their standard of knowledge in English... There are at least five mistakes in it...Try to find and correct them....

"Here I pondered over the events of the last few days, and strong enough, instead of feeling rested from sitting or laying down, now I began to feel jaded and worn, but a hot meat of vention stew soon put me right, so than I could sleep. :)

"Here I pondered over the events of the last few days, and deep enough, instead of feeling rested from sitting or lying down, now I began to feel jaded and worn, but a hot piece of venison stew soon put me right, after that I could sleep.

Поделиться сообщением

"Here I pondered over the events of the last few days, and strong enough, instead of feeling of having rested from sitting or lying down, now I began to feel jaded and worn, but some hot meat of venison stew soon put me right, so then I could sleep.

Lying and venison are ok! If I were you I'd read more carefully...:)

Поделиться сообщением

When his fellowship expired he was offered a rectorship at Boxworth... on condition that he would marry the sick rector's daughter :)

on condition that he marry.

Moods are probably the most complex and complicated part of English grammar. Here are a few good reference articles that deal with conditionals:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv297.shtml

http://www.writingcentre.uottawa.ca/hypergrammar/moods.html

http://www.paulnoll.com/Books/Clear-English/English-moods-2.html

http://tlc.uoregon.edu/publications/studyskills/GrammarHandouts/VerbMood.pdf

A quotation from the last file:

TIPS FOR USING SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD

 Of the three moods, subjunctive tends to be the most troublesome. In fact, so many people use the indicative mood when the subjunctive is grammatically necessary that we may not have a natural “ear” for selecting the correct verb form.

o For indirect advice and requests, use the simplest form of the verb (for example, be, have, go, run, pretend, believe). In such cases, the subjunctive part of the sentence is often preceded by a phrase like “it is important/ urgent/ necessary” or a verb like “insist,” “demand,” “advise,” “ask,” “recommend,” “request,” and “urge” (with or without the word “that”).

Simone asked that we be quiet.

It is important that he hire a lawyer.

The teacher suggested Erik drink plenty of coffee before coming to class.

Поделиться сообщением

"Here I pondered over the events of the last few days, and strong enough, instead of feeling rested from sitting or laying down, now I began to feel jaded and worn, but a hot meat of vention stew soon put me right, so than I could sleep. :P

Here is the correct version....:lol:

I pondered on the events of the last few days, and strongly enough, instead of feeling rested from sitting and lying down, now I began to feel jaded and worn, but a hot meal of venison stew soon put me right, so that I could sleep.

Поделиться сообщением

Here is the correct version....:P

I pondered on the events of the last few days, and strongly enough, instead of feeling rested from sitting and lying down, now I began to feel jaded and worn, but a hot meal of venison stew soon put me right, so that I could sleep.

Thank you! Next time I'll be more attentive! :lol:

Поделиться сообщением

О языках вообще. Некоторые слова крайне сложно перевести, так как они относятся к "культурным лакунам" - обозначают явления, которых нет в другой культуре, либо их значение намного шире и требует описательного перевода. Сегодня набрел на любопытную статью о примерах таких слов. Вот отрывок:

"HERE ARE A FEW examples of instances where other languages have found the right word and English simply falls speechless.

1. Toska

Russian – Vladmir Nabokov describes it best: “No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom.”" http://www.lackuna.com/2012/02/06/20-awesomely-untranslatable-words-from-around-the-world/

Поделиться сообщением

О языках вообще. Некоторые слова крайне сложно перевести, так как они относятся к "культурным лакунам" - обозначают явления, которых нет в другой культуре, либо их значение намного шире и требует описательного перевода. Сегодня набрел на любопытную статью о примерах таких слов. Вот отрывок:

"HERE ARE A FEW examples of instances where other languages have found the right word and English simply falls speechless.

1. Toska

Russian – Vladmir Nabokov describes it best: “No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom.”" http://www.lackuna.com/2012/02/06/20-awesomely-untranslatable-words-from-around-the-world/

Где-то близко находятся слова spleen и melancholy.

Поделиться сообщением

Очень интересная статья о том, как менялась свобода языка в 20 веке, как в разных словарях то прескриптивистский, то дескриптиуистский подходы использовали и как менялось понятие хорошего стиля в языке: http://m.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2012/05/14/120514crbo_books_acocella?currentPage=all

Поделиться сообщением

Одной из непростых тем в грамматике является образование множественного числа. Меняющаяся орфография (leaf - leaves), старинные формы (ox-oxen, чего только нет... А вот пара таких сложных случаев. Какой будет форма множественного числа у этих слов?

a sabertooth - two ...

a Life (magazine) - a pile of ...

Toronto Maple Leaf - Toronto Maple ...?

Поделиться сообщением

Одной из непростых тем в грамматике является образование множественного числа. Меняющаяся орфография (leaf - leaves), старинные формы (ox-oxen, чего только нет... А вот пара таких сложных случаев. Какой будет форма множественного числа у этих слов?

a sabertooth - two ...

a Life (magazine) - a pile of ...

Toronto Maple Leaf - Toronto Maple ...?

Рискну предположить, что two sabertooths и Toronto Maple Leafs :rolleyes:

Поделиться сообщением

Рискну предположить, что two sabertooths и Toronto Maple Leafs :rolleyes:

Правильно! И a pile of Lifes. Это даже если не брать "авторского написания", как у Толкиена elfs или своя орфография в текстах Бернарда Шоу.

Поделиться сообщением

Esquire выбрал из современного английского языка несколько терминов, которые обозначают еще не описанные, но уже существующие в России явления.

http://esquire.ru/coined-word

Мак-наци (Mac nazi)

Человек, помешанный на продуктах компании Apple.

Гинекобиблиофобия (Gynobibliophobia)

Ненависть к женщинам-писательницам.

Русский (a Russian)

Тот, кто постоянно находится в состоянии депрессии, видит мир в черных красках.

Биоаксессуар (Bio-accessory)

Человек, которого берут в общество в качестве выгодного фона.

Королева стола (Table queen)

Человек, требующий у официантов пересадить его/ее, когда в ресторане освобождается лучший столик.

Плейлистизм (Playlistism)

Дискриминация по признаку музыкальных пристрастий в iTunes и других проигрывателях звуковых файлов.

Глобиш (Globish — сокращение от global english)

Упрощенный английский, на котором общаются представители неанглоговорящих стран.

Говорящая пума (Conversational puma)

Человек, то и дело впрыгивающий в разговор со словами «Да, я знаю!», «Я вам всегда это говорил!», что делает беседу крайне затруднительной.

Усталость от паролей (Password fatigue)

Психическая усталость, вызванная необходимостью помнить слишком много паролей.

Кресло гетеросексуалов (I’m not gay seat)

Пустое место в кинотеатре, которое оставляют между собой два молодых человека, давая окружающим понять, что они не педерасты.

Ретрошопинг (Retro shopping)

Сравнение цен на одну и ту же вещь в разных магазинах, осуществляемое уже после того, как эта вещь приобретена.

Бабушка (Babushka)

Милая бесполезная вещь небольшого размера.

Эгокастинг (Egocasting)

Чтение только тех газет и журналов, чье мнение совпадает с твоим собственным.

Комфорт-ТВ (Comfort TV)

Лишенные интеллектуального наполнения телепередачи, главная функция которых — успокоить.

Поколение Reset (Reset generation)

Молодые люди, которые, попав в затруднительное положение, предпочитают не искать решения, а, как в компьютерной игре, нажать кнопку Reset («сброс») и начать все сначала.

Родители-вертолеты (Helicopter parents)

Родители, чрезмерно опекающие своих детей и как бы постоянно кружащие над ними.

Грыжа на лыже (Grays on trays)

Великовозрастные сноубордисты.

Токсичный холостяк (Toxic bachelor)

Неженатый мужчина, имеющий скверный характер.

Ретросексуал (Retrosexual)

Мужчина, тратящий минимум денег на гардероб и свой внешний вид.

По ссылке - остальная часть статьи.

Поделиться сообщением

Esquire выбрал из современного английского языка несколько терминов, которые обозначают еще не описанные, но уже существующие в России явления.

http://esquire.ru/coined-word

Говорящая пума (Conversational puma)

Человек, то и дело впрыгивающий в разговор со словами «Да, я знаю!», «Я вам всегда это говорил!», что делает беседу крайне затруднительной.

На работе такая пума есть, но я ее немного по-другому нарекла :unsure:/>

Поделиться сообщением

Мы с дочкой с помощью этого сайта изучаем разговорный английский для детей http://www.vash-english.ru/content/angliyskiy-dlya-detey

Ресурс платный.

Поделиться сообщением

British/American Clothing Confusion: Wearing a Fanny Pack Around Your Pants

The first time I heard an American say he was wearing a “wife-beater,” I was caught off guard. Sensing my apprehension, my new buddy, Sam, a skinny New Yorker with a silly moustache who had deployed the term, explained to me that wife-beater is just a harmless U.S. colloquialism for a sleeveless top.

“Pardon me, Samuel, my lad,” I said, looking for some clarification, “are you saying that a wife-beater is merely a vest?”

“No, dude,” replied Sam, “a vest is the sleeveless undergarment of a three-piece suit,” to which I said, “No, Samuel, that’s a waistcoat.”

Confusion rained down on us like cannonballs during the Revolutionary War, and we both just sort of stood there in a silent stalemate, wearing pants.

Trainers vs. Sneakers

In the U.K., the generic term “trainers” is used to describe any sporty-looking footwear, and as you might expect, takes its name from the word “training,” as in “training shoes.” The word “sneakers” has a rather more sinister etymological background. Towards the end of the 19th century, manufacturers had developed shoes with rubber soles, making them ideal for mischievous folk to creep around in undetected, hence “sneakers.”

The term “tennis shoes” is also widely used stateside. Indeed, a 2003 dialect survey conducted by Harvard University found that 45.5% of Americans use “sneakers,” compared to 41.34% who prefer “tennis shoes.” Meanwhile, 0.01% go with the energetic sounding “jumpers,” while an indecisive 0.89% “have no general word for this,” which seems odd; odd enough to be an episode of The Twilight Zone if you ask me.

Braces vs. Suspenders

This one’s a tad confusing and we’re going to have to rally back and forth between American English and British English in order to make any sense of this dialectical mess. Perhaps it’s best to clarify that braces in both the U.S. and the U.K. are correctional devices used in the orthodontic world. Now, “braces” in British English also refer to the straps worn over the shoulders that hold trousers up. But in American English, these harnesses are known as “suspenders.” However, back in Blighty, suspenders are raunchy accessories that hold up a pair of women’s stockings, while this item is more commonly referred to as a “garter belt” in America. See, I told you it was confusing.

Fancy dress party vs. Costume party

Inviting both British and American friends to a fancy dress party would most likely result in U.S. guests arriving clad in tuxedos and ball gowns and the U.K. contingent dressed as bees, pirates and bespectacled child wizards. Sounds like a fun party, however.

Swimming costume vs. Bathing suit

As we learned above, the word “costume” when used in the U.S. implies dressing up as Elvis or a sexy cat. Thus the term “swimming costume” sounds a little curious to American ears, as if Brits dress up as ducks or something similarly whacky before taking a dip. Conversely, “bathing suit” sounds strangely formal to Brits, conjuring an image of zany Americans swimming laps in a suit and tie.

Shirt vs. Button down

http://www.bbcamerica.com/mind-the-gap/2014/09/23/wearing-fanny-pack-around-pants-transatlantic-clothing-confusions/

Поделиться сообщением

Интересно, кто из вас знает, что означает слово SMOBIE?:-)  Разъяснение и план к уроку можно найти здесь https://teachersbook7.blogspot.com/2017/06/blog-post.html#more

Поделиться сообщением

How They Celebrate Chinese New Year 2018 in London on 18 February           https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/whats-on/chinese-new-year          

Things to do in Greenwich   https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/london-areas/greenwich?utm_campaign=LPEMECRW-solus-greenwich-24Aug17-ROW&utm_medium=email&utm_content=greenwich&utm_source=visitlondon&dm_i=1R8M,541X5,AKJMFP,JLOLV,1

www.visitlondon.com   Много фото и информации по страноведению

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас