Перейти к содержимому

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Bumper stickers are very popular in the USA. A bumper sticker is... well, a small sticker that you put on the bumper of your car so that those driving behind you could read what it says. These stickers are an excellent chance to tell the world what you think or believe, and as they are one-liners, some of them are interesting to analyse both from the grammatical and semantic point of view. Even more so because they tell a lot about local culture and some sociocultural issues. I don't think that many of them would be used in the classroom, but at least they can be used as a good start to introduce a problem and go on to a discussion.

So here's a few of my favourite bumper stickers:

My next car is a Bentley*. [* conditions apply]

I have an IQ in the top 2%. Who cares about the other 95%?

I'm not bossy, I just know what you should be doing.

Five days a week, my body is a temple. The other two, it's an amusement park.

My idea of a team effort is a lot of people doing whatever I say.

You are 98% chimp.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do.

I have a perfect body. It's your vision that's defective.

Churches only worship the prophet margin.

Stable relationships are for horses.

Just say NO to negativity.

333: I'm only half evil.

Squirrels - nature's speed bumps.

The Moral Majority is neither.

Dyslexics Untie!

I love animals. They're delicious.

Be alert. The world needs more lerts.

Keep on working, millions on welfare depend on you!

I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!

I didn't believe in reincarnation in my last life, either!

If it's not one thing, it's your mother.

Help your local Search & Rescue. Get lost!

Never believe generalizations

I don't think, therefore I am not.

An Apple a day keeps Windows away

I'm Canadian. It's like being American, but without the gun

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Don't treat me any differently than you would the Queen.

Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up!

If you can't read this, thank the teacher's union

Procrastinate now

Suburbia: Where they tear out the trees and name streets after them.

I'm always late. My ancestors arrived on the Juneflower

Quoting one is plagiarism. Quoting many is research.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Warning: Dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert.

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.

Love may be blind, but marriage is a real eye opener.

I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes.

If going to church makes you a Christian, does going into a garage make you a car?

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

My wife keeps complaining I never listen to her (or something like that).

Driver carries no cash. He's married.

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Karaoke bars combine two of the nation's greatest evils: people who shouldn't drink with people who shouldn't sing

I have the body of a god. Buddha.

I doubt, therefore I might be.

If it isn't broken, fix it until it is

Archaeologists will date any old thing.

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.

I love animals, they taste great.

I respect your opinion. Just don't want to hear it!

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person

I souport publik edekasion

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.

This is what one of such stickers looks like: http://www.ruighaver.net/bumperstickers/st.../workharder.htm

Поделиться сообщением

Статья о типичных речевых ошибках, которые делают англичане: http://www.toledofreepress.com/2010/01/29/...-when-speaking/

Поделиться сообщением

Забавные signs, интересно проанализировать игру слов:

On a septic tank truck in Oregon:

Yesterday's Meals on Wheels

At a tire shop in Milwaukee:

Invite Us To Your Next Blowout

On a plumber's truck:

We Repair What Your Husband Fixed

On a plastic surgeon's office door:

Hello! Can We Pick Your Nose?

At a towing company:

We don't charge an arm and a leg. We just want your tows.

On an electrician's truck:

Let Us Remove Your Shorts

On a maternity room door:

Push. Push. Push!

At an optometrist's office:

If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place.

On a taxidermist's window:

We Really Know Our Stuff

In a podiatrist's office:

Time Wounds All Heels.

Поделиться сообщением

Забавные signs, интересно проанализировать игру слов:

On a septic tank truck in Oregon:

Yesterday's Meals on Wheels

At a tire shop in Milwaukee:

Invite Us To Your Next Blowout

On a plumber's truck:

We Repair What Your Husband Fixed

On a plastic surgeon's office door:

Hello! Can We Pick Your Nose?

At a towing company:

We don't charge an arm and a leg. We just want your tows.

On an electrician's truck:

Let Us Remove Your Shorts

On a maternity room door:

Push. Push. Push!

At an optometrist's office:

If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place.

On a taxidermist's window:

We Really Know Our Stuff

In a podiatrist's office:

Time Wounds All Heels.

Спасибо! Замечательная подборка. Влт с коротким замыканием я прямо сразу беру на вооружение, чтобы оживлять уроки, связанные с темами жилища, катастроф и проишествий. И про ремонт туда же можно.

Поделиться сообщением

Спасибо! Замечательная подборка. Влт с коротким замыканием я прямо сразу беру на вооружение, чтобы оживлять уроки, связанные с темами жилища, катастроф и проишествий. И про ремонт туда же можно.

Я еще кое-какие цитаты у себя в блоге разместил: http://www.englishteachers.ru/forum/index....mp;showentry=59

Поделиться сообщением

Я недавно начала собирать переводческие "перлы" своих студентов. Выкладываю на своем сайте: http://terralinguistica.ru/island/translation_mistakes.html. Думаю, что было бы полезно систематически разбирать подобные стилистические, грамматические и прочие переводческие ошибки на занятиях.

Поделиться сообщением

Сегодня в 5 классе выполняли упражнение, где из слов надо было составить предложение. У одного мальчика получилось вот что: Farmers cow milk. Когда попросила перевести, то было выдано следующее: Фермеры коровят молоко :)

Поделиться сообщением

Интересная статья вышла в Литературной Газете еще в 2006 году о переводческих ошибках в переводах фильмов. Вот пара цитат:

"В сериале «МЭШ» (REN TV) некто заказывает коктейль «Храм Ширли», хотя он назван «Ширли Темпл» в честь известной актрисы. Переводчик не знает актрису, но запомнил слово temple (храм). В сериале «Дживс и Вустер» (СТС) герой любуется «настоящим грузинским чайником». А в сериале «Чисто английское убийство» (ТВЦ) кто-то расстроился, что сломан его «настоящий грузинский стул». В обоих случаях – ужасающая безграмотность: genuine Georgian – это «подлинная вещь эпохи короля Георга». Горе-переводчик в упор не знает такого короля, но ему известна солнечная Georgia – Грузия.

С современным бытом зарубежья переводчик знаком так же плохо. «Ты будешь работать с семи до одиннадцати?» – спрашивает герой («Беглецы», НТВ), хотя речь идёт не о времени, а о месте работы. «7-11» – название сети американских универсамов.

Уникальный аттракцион полного отсутствия каких-то страноведческих знаний демонстрирует безвестный переводчик на канале СТС («Переходный возраст»). Герой рассуждает о Европе: «Ты увидишь Рим, цирк Пиккадилли…» Это уже ни в какие ворота не лезет! Piccadilly Circus – площадь Пиккадилли в Лондоне! "

"Переводчики не знают, что «толстая голова» – это просто олух (fathead) («МЭШ», REN TV); «бараны и козлы» – библейские агнцы и козлища (lambs and he goats) («Чисто английское убийство», ТВЦ); «компания Альфа» – первый взвод (company Alpha) («Сержант Билко», СТС); «второй инженер» – помощник машиниста («Трудная мишень», Первый); а в песенке When I came from Alabama… поётся про штат Алабама, и её нельзя переводить «Я приехал из Албании…» («Гарри и Хендерсоны», СТС)."

Вся статья - здесь: http://www.lgz.ru/archives/html_arch/lg162...Polosy/10_3.htm

Поделиться сообщением

Спасибо, статью прочитала с интересом. Представляю, как бы перевели они, например, "Сагу о Форсайтах" ... С нас в университете такие переводы требовали :excl:

Поделиться сообщением

A joke I liked from http://www.jokesgalore.com/members/show.ph...ll&uid=1998

Tough Exam

An eccentric philosophy professor gave a one question final exam after a semester dealing with a broad array of topics.

The class was already seated and ready to go when the professor picked up his chair, plopped it on his desk and wrote on the board: "Using everything we have learned this semester, prove that this chair does not exist."

Fingers flew, erasers erased, notebooks were filled in furious fashion. Some students wrote over 30 pages in one hour attempting to refute the existence of the chair. One member of the class however, was up and finished in less than a minute.

Weeks later when the grades were posted, the rest of the group wondered how he could have gotten an A when he had barely written anything at all. His answer consisted of two words: "What chair?" :excl:

http://www.jokesgalore.com/members/thejoke...=2&uid=1998

Поделиться сообщением

Чудесно! Мне очень понравилось, спасибо! Хи-хи, what chair?

Поделиться сообщением

Интересная статья вышла в Литературной Газете еще в 2006 году о переводческих ошибках в переводах фильмов. Вот пара цитат:

"В сериале «МЭШ» (REN TV) некто заказывает коктейль «Храм Ширли», хотя он назван «Ширли Темпл» в честь известной актрисы. Переводчик не знает актрису, но запомнил слово temple (храм). В сериале «Дживс и Вустер» (СТС) герой любуется «настоящим грузинским чайником». А в сериале «Чисто английское убийство» (ТВЦ) кто-то расстроился, что сломан его «настоящий грузинский стул». В обоих случаях – ужасающая безграмотность: genuine Georgian – это «подлинная вещь эпохи короля Георга». Горе-переводчик в упор не знает такого короля, но ему известна солнечная Georgia – Грузия.

С современным бытом зарубежья переводчик знаком так же плохо. «Ты будешь работать с семи до одиннадцати?» – спрашивает герой («Беглецы», НТВ), хотя речь идёт не о времени, а о месте работы. «7-11» – название сети американских универсамов.

Уникальный аттракцион полного отсутствия каких-то страноведческих знаний демонстрирует безвестный переводчик на канале СТС («Переходный возраст»). Герой рассуждает о Европе: «Ты увидишь Рим, цирк Пиккадилли…» Это уже ни в какие ворота не лезет! Piccadilly Circus – площадь Пиккадилли в Лондоне! "

"Переводчики не знают, что «толстая голова» – это просто олух (fathead) («МЭШ», REN TV); «бараны и козлы» – библейские агнцы и козлища (lambs and he goats) («Чисто английское убийство», ТВЦ); «компания Альфа» – первый взвод (company Alpha) («Сержант Билко», СТС); «второй инженер» – помощник машиниста («Трудная мишень», Первый); а в песенке When I came from Alabama… поётся про штат Алабама, и её нельзя переводить «Я приехал из Албании…» («Гарри и Хендерсоны», СТС)."

Вся статья - здесь: http://www.lgz.ru/archives/html_arch/lg162...Polosy/10_3.htm

Спасибо за ссылку. Буду пользоваться ею на уроках по технике перевода и задавать потом небольшуую письменную работу "Зачем нам культурологические знания?"

Поделиться сообщением

Here are some examples from American students creative comparisons:

Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two

sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience,like

a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without

one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the

country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at

a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

She grew on him like she was a colony of E.coli and he was

room-temperature Canadian beef.

She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog

makes just before it throws up.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated

because of his wife’s infidelity came as a rude shock, like a

surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way

a bowling ball wouldn’t.

McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag

filled with vegetable soup.

Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across

the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one

having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other

from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences

that resembled Nancy Kerrigan’s teeth.

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck,either,

but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on

a land mine or something.

Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap,

only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil,

this plan just might work.

The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not

eating for a while.

John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds

who had also never met.

The ballerina raised gracefully en pointe and extended one

slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around

with power tools.

He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard

bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple

it to the wall.

More examples can be found here: http://chriswondra.com/2007/01/19/an-a-for-effort/

Поделиться сообщением

Here are some examples from American students creative comparisons:

She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

More examples can be found here: http://chriswondra.com/2007/01/19/an-a-for-effort/

Wow, I have just imagined it!!!

Поделиться сообщением

Интересный эффект получается от нарушения некоторых основных принципов теории перевода. Например, фамилии не переводятся, если это не "говорящая" фамилия, специально придуманная автором (как в некоторых романах Диккенса), да и то в тех случаях переводчик решает, пытаться ли перевести фамилию или дать пояснение в подстрочнике. Если же кто-то перевел фамилию там, где это совсем не требовалось, эффект получается смешной.

Как-то одному моему приятелю в ресторане на Украине предложили выбрать какой чай он хочет: черный, зеленый или серый. Как вы думаете, что оказалось этим серым чаем? Правильно, Earl Grey. При этом на коробочке с чаем название было оригинально "переведено" - "Сивий граф" ("Седой граф"). Очевидно, переводчик никогда не слышал о графской династии Grey в Англии несмотря на ее большой вклад в историю. раз уж зашла об этом речь, расскажу подробнее почему же чай с бергамотом называется Earl Grey.

Чай назвали в честь второго графа Грея, Чарльза Грея, потомка старинной семьи. кстати, одна из старых центральных улиц города Newcastle-upon-Tyne называется Grey Street в честь этого графа, я в свое время очень любил по ней гулять, так как она застроена красивыми домами 18-го века. За свою долгую политическую карьеру граф Грей был и Первым лордом адмиралтейства (фактически министром военно-морских сил), и руководителем партии вигов в парламенте, министром иностранных дел и премьер-министром. При нем в 1832 году был принят Reform Act, который привел к реформе парламента и отмене рабства в Британской империи. В честь графа в 1834 году в Эдинбурге провели the Grey Festival, на котором он выступил с последней большой политической речью, а на центральной площади Ньюкасла установлен памятник ему - статуя на высокой колонне.

Чай назван в честь именно этого знаменитого графа. Существует две легенды о происхождении рецепта. Одна легенда гласит, что сын китайского аристократа был спасен с тонущего корабля слугой графа, и аристократ в благодарность дал рецепт. Другая легенда говорит. что слуга графа спас от тигра сына индийского раджи. Знаменитая чайная фирма Jacksons of Picadilly утверждает, что граф Грей подарил им этот рецепт в 1830 году.

Так или иначе, чай назван в честь Чарльза, второго графа Грея, выдающегося британского политика 19-го века. И переводить название как "Седой граф" не только неграмотно, но и весьма печально.

Поделиться сообщением

Как-то одному моему приятелю в ресторане на Украине предложили выбрать какой чай он хочет: черный, зеленый или серый. Как вы думаете, что оказалось этим серым чаем? Правильно, Earl Grey. При этом на коробочке с чаем название было оригинально "переведено" - "Сивий граф" ("Седой граф"). Очевидно, переводчик никогда не слышал о графской династии Grey в Англии несмотря на ее большой вклад в историю. раз уж зашла об этом речь, расскажу подробнее почему же чай с бергамотом называется Earl Grey.

Спасибо за любопытную информацию, хотя чай с бергамотом я не почитаю))

Вот что пишет торговая марка «Riston» производитель чая http://www.ristontea.ru/products/blacktea/earlgreytea/

Своим появлением в ХIХ веке на лондонском рынке он обязан случайно разлитому во время шторма бергамотовому маслу в трюме чайного клипера. Пропитавшиеся его запахом чай был признан испорченным и продан как удобрение. Однако, все кто его случайно пробовал, считал напиток великолепным.

Чуть позже -1830г. рецепт производства чая с бергамотовым маслом был получен в подарок от китайского премьер-министра английским дипломатом графом Чарльзом II Греем (1764-1845).

Поделиться сообщением

Спасибо за интересную информацию.

Сегодня мой 6 класс меня удивил. Программу за 3 четверть прошли, я дала им выучить слова чтобы увеличить словарный запас( он уних не велик). В конце остались отстающие. Один ученик пытался рассказать почти 10 раз. Где-то на 7-й раз заметила что мальчик который сидит с ним делает тихонько разные движения.

Я называю слово по русски, он должен ответить. Явно тот подсказывает. Но молча. Потом я расспросила их, что это значит. И вот перед вами словарь который они составили сами для слов по теме Home.

a dresser - дрессировщик

bedroom - бедро

mirror - мир и война (?)

basement - цемент

hallway - хайфлайф (это оказывается комп. игра)

dining room - динозавр .

Конечно они не стали мне все свои слова говорить. Но на 10й раз он всетки оценку 3 получил. :rolleyes:

Изменено пользователем ilyap22

Поделиться сообщением

Спасибо за интересную информацию.

Сегодня мой 6 класс меня удивил. Программу за 3 четверть прошли, я дала им выучить слова чтобы увеличить словарный запас( он уних не велик). В конце остались отстающие. Один ученик пытался рассказать почти 10 раз. Где-то на 7-й раз заметила что мальчик который сидит с ним делает тихонько разные движения.

Я называю слово по русски, он должен ответить. Явно тот подсказывает. Но молча. Потом я расспросила их, что это значит. И вот перед вами словарь который они составили сами для слов по теме Home.

a dresser - дрессировщик

bedroom - бедро

mirror - мир и война (?)

basement - цемент

hallway - хайфлайф (это оказывается комп. игра)

dining room - динозавр .

Конечно они не стали мне все свои слова говорить. Но на 10й раз он всетки оценку 3 получил. :rolleyes:

Надо бы пятерку еще поставить за изобретательность автору словарика. :lol:

Мои детки в детсаду тоже подсказывают друг другу жестами - я предъявляю картинку, он молчит. Тогда вся группа начинает ему руками махать или рожицы строить...Результат не заставляет себя ждать. Чем-то напоминает чтение целым словом, только лишь название неподходящее, а работает тот же принцип. -_-

Изменено пользователем ilyap22

Поделиться сообщением

Уважаемые авторы учебников линии Enjoy English прекрасно справляются с задачей формирования у учеников положительного отношения к родному краю. Авторы очень часто обращаются в курсе 5-6 классов к некому г. Обнинску (для многих нас он знаком благодаря Титулу), поскольку герои учебника из России проживают не в столичном городе. Одна моя замечетельная ученица, выполняля упр 11 Unit 4 WB, указала помимо Paris, London, Moscow и др верно выбранных столиц !! Обнинск!!

Поделиться сообщением

Sometimes typos in books can be not only annoying, but also funny AND expensive:

"PENGUIN GROUP AUSTRALIA turns over $120 million a year from printing words but a one-word misprint has cost it dearly.

The publishing company was forced to pulp and reprint 7000 copies of Pasta Bible last week after a recipe called for "salt and freshly ground black people" – instead of pepper – to be added to the spelt tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto.

The exercise will cost Penguin $20,000, the head of publishing, Bob Sessions, said. At $3300 a letter, it's a pricey typo." tells an Australian newspaper in this article: http://www.smh.com.au/national/penguin-rep...00416-skjl.html

Some people found this typo quite offensive, as the article goes on to tell.

Поделиться сообщением

Have you heard about politically correct fairy tales? Here's one which has been appearing on various websites for years, so I couldn't really trace it's origin or copyright holder:

Little Red Riding Hood

The Politically Correct Version

There once was a young person named Little Red Riding Hood who lived on the edge of a large forest full of endangered owls and rare plants that would probably provide a cure for cancer if only someone took the time to study them.

Red Riding Hood lived with a nurture giver whom she sometimes referred to as "mother", although she didn't mean to imply by this term that she would have thought less of the person if a close biological link did not in fact exist. Nor did she intend to denigrate the equal value of nontraditional households, although she was sorry if this was the impression conveyed.

One day her mother asked her to take a basket of organically grown fruit and mineral water to her grandmother's house.

"But mother, won't this be stealing work from the unionized people who have struggled for years to earn the right to carry all packages between various people in the woods?"

Red Riding Hood's mother assured her that she had called the union boss and gotten a special compassionate mission exemption form.

"But mother, aren't you oppressing me by ordering me to do this?"

Red Riding Hood's mother pointed out that it was impossible for women to oppress each other, since all women were equally oppressed until all women were free.

"But mother, then shouldn't you have my brother carry the basket, since he's an oppressor, and should learn what it's like to be oppressed?"

Red Riding Hood's mother explained that her brother was attending a special rally for animal rights, and besides, this wasn't stereotypical women's work, but an empowering deed that would help engender a feeling of community.

"But won't I be oppressing Grandma, by implying that she's sick and hence unable to independently further her own selfhood?"

But Red Riding Hood's mother explained that her grandmother wasn't actually sick or incapacitated or mentally handicapped in any way, although that was not to imply that any of these conditions were inferior to what some people called "health".

Thus Red Riding Hood felt that she could get behind the idea of delivering the basket to her grandmother, and so she set off.

Many people believed that the forest was a foreboding and dangerous place, but Red Riding Hood knew that this was an irrational fear based on cultural paradigms instilled by a patriarchal society that regarded the natural world as an exploitable resource, and hence believed that natural predators were in fact intolerable competitors.

Other people avoided the woods for fear of thieves and deviants, but Red Riding Hood felt that in a truly classless society all marginalized peoples would be able to "come out" of the woods and be accepted as valid lifestyle role models.

On her way to Grandma's house, Red Riding Hood passed a woodchopper, and wandered off the path, in order to examine some flowers.

She was startled to find herself standing before a Wolf, who asked her what was in her basket.

Red Riding Hood's teacher had warned her never to talk to strangers, but she was confident in taking control of her own budding sexuality, and chose to dialogue with the Wolf.

She replied, "I am taking my Grandmother some healthful snacks in a gesture of solidarity."

The Wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Red Riding Hood said, "I find your sexist remark offensive in the extreme, but I will ignore it because of your traditional status as an outcast from society, the stress of which has caused you to develop an alternative and yet entirely valid worldview. Now, if you'll excuse me, I would prefer to be on my way."

Red Riding Hood returned to the main path, and proceeded towards her Grandmother's house.

But because his status outside society had freed him from slavish adherence to linear, Western-style thought, the Wolf knew of a quicker route to Grandma's house.

He burst into the house and ate Grandma, a course of action affirmative of his nature as a predator. Then, unhampered by rigid, traditionalist gender role notions, he put on Grandma's nightclothes, crawled under the bedclothes, and awaited developments.

Red Riding Hood entered the cottage and said, "Grandma, I have brought you some cruelty free snacks to salute you in your role of wise and nurturing matriarch."

The Wolf said softly "Come closer, child, so that I might see you."

Red Riding Hood said, "Goddess! Grandma, what big eyes you have!"

"You forget that I am optically challenged."

"And Grandma, what an enormous, what a fine nose you have."

"Naturally, I could have had it fixed to help my acting career, but I didn't give in to such societal pressures, my child."

"And Grandma, what very big, sharp teeth you have!"

The Wolf could not take any more of these specist slurs, and, in a reaction appropriate for his accustomed milieu, he leaped out of bed, grabbed Little Red Riding Hood, and opened his jaws so wide that she could see her poor Grandmother cowering in his belly.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Red Riding Hood bravely shouted.

"You must request my permission before proceeding to a new level of intimacy!"

The Wolf was so startled by this statement that he loosened his grasp on her.

At the same time, the woodchopper burst into the cottage, brandishing an ax.

"Hands off!" cried the woodchopper.

"And what do you think you're doing?" cried Little Red Riding Hood.

"If I let you help me now, I would be expressing a lack of confidence in my own abilities, which would lead to poor self esteem and lower achievement scores on college entrance exams."

"Last chance, sister! Get your hands off that endangered species!

This is an FBI sting!" screamed the woodchopper, and when Little Red Riding Hood nonetheless made a sudden motion, he sliced off her head.

"Thank goodness you got here in time," said the Wolf. "The brat and her grandmother lured me in here. I thought I was a goner."

"No, I think I'm the real victim, here," said the woodchopper.

"I've been dealing with my anger ever since I saw her picking those protected flowers earlier. And now I'm going to have such a trauma. Do you have any aspirin?"

"Sure," said the Wolf.

"Thanks."

"I feel your pain," said the Wolf, and he patted the woodchopper on his firm, well padded back, gave a little belch, and said "Do you have any Maalox?"

Here you can find another PC version of the same tale: http://www.averyhillarts.com/rrh_pc.html

Поделиться сообщением

Here are some phrases which could make good starting point for discussions or making stories about some issues, including those of the stereotypes behind these phrases ;-)

The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Well, this day was a total waste of makeup.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

There are two times a man does'nt understand a woman, before marriage and after marriage!

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Поделиться сообщением

Нашел слайд-шоу с интересными предупреждающими надписями на английском из Китая. Сами фото можно посмотреть здесь: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/0..._CHINGLISH.html

А вот что там написано:

Execution in progress

Slip and fall down carefully

Keep off the lake

Fragrant and hot Marxism

Do drunken driving

Please forgive to be incontinent for interior decoration

Please don't make confused noise when chanting

Я уже даже подумываю о том, чтобы дать ученикам постарше эти надписи и попросить высказать предположения, в каких ситуациях и на каких знаках они могли бы быть написаны. Потом показал бы фото чтобы проверить, чьи предположения ближе всего к истине, а затем попросил бы подумать, что на подобных знаках было б ынаписано в Англии или в США - и показал бы фото подобных английских знаков. В общем, если кому-то понравились материалы и идея, попробуйте, может получиться интересный фрагмент урока :-)

Поделиться сообщением

Нашел слайд-шоу с интересными предупреждающими надписями на английском из Китая. Сами фото можно посмотреть здесь: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/0..._CHINGLISH.html

А вот что там написано:

Execution in progress

Slip and fall down carefully

Keep off the lake

Fragrant and hot Marxism

Do drunken driving

Please forgive to be incontinent for interior decoration

Please don't make confused noise when chanting

Я уже даже подумываю о том, чтобы дать ученикам постарше эти надписи и попросить высказать предположения, в каких ситуациях и на каких знаках они могли бы быть написаны. Потом показал бы фото чтобы проверить, чьи предположения ближе всего к истине, а затем попросил бы подумать, что на подобных знаках было б ынаписано в Англии или в США - и показал бы фото подобных английских знаков. В общем, если кому-то понравились материалы и идея, попробуйте, может получиться интересный фрагмент урока :-)

Да, этот материал так и просится под такое применение. И не скучно!

Поделиться сообщением

Manicure - Деньги лечат

God only knows - Единственный нос бога

Bye bye baby, baby good bye - Купи купи ребенка, ребенок хорошая покупка

To be or not to be? - Пчеле или не пчеле?

I fell in love - Я свалился в любовь.

Just in case - Только в портфеле

Phone seller - Позвони продавцу

Good products - Бог на стороне уток

Перлы и ляпы переводчиков из кино и просто из жизни

ladybird - птичка женского пола

Он стоял, стоял, потом взял да и вышел - he stood stood then took yes and went out

if you miss the train - если вы мисс ...

Danish pastry - Датские спагетти

лист бумаги - list of paper

Girl from the magazine cover - Девушка с магазинной обертки (Что-то из Стивена Кинга - 1992)

"The Doors" - "Двери". (перевод названия фильма на одном украинском телеканале)

Japanese people – Японские люди

Hello, duchess - Здравствуйте, дукеза.

high school - высокие скулы

I gotcha... I gotcha... - Я гоча, я гоча

Brother, Where Art Thou - Брат мой, где же искусство? (Из рецензии на фильм в газете "Новое русское слово")

Still Life with Crows — До сих пор живу с воронами

Still life with eggplant - тихая жизнь с баклажаном

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас