Irina Starovoytova's Blog

• записи
  • комментария
  • просмотров
    112 306

Final assignment: my reflection on summer courses

irinatamb

2 751 просмотр

To make the decision on what to choose for my final assignment was a challenging task because of several obstacles. Firstly, at the moment there were no my students at school as the school year was already over, but there were two groups of other students studying English at summer school. Secondly, the choice of the issues covered during the course I am taking is really wide. But I decided to see all these obstacles as privileges and by all mean make the lessons learner-centred.

To start with, I should say that I had an opportunity to conduct only one class at two different groups of students. My colleagues had to follow a certain program. So I had only 45 minutes in both groups to teach. And in both groups it was the first lesson.

Obviously, I had to start with an ice breaking activity to let the students know each other better and to set a positive atmosphere in class. Though Motivating Teenagers was not the obligatory unit at the courses I study it and found it very useful in my everyday work. The articles of British Council site give an insight into the problem and provide great tips on how to (Motivating the students by Jo Budden – one of my favourite authors). So, I useds questionnaire in order to help my colleagues to personalize the following summer school teaching and start students’ collaboration in class. How it happened was videoed: http://yadi.sk/d/g2xIs3sT76Ae6

The workshop topic I wanted to practice in class was Integrated skills. Traditionally skills are taught separately (or at least there is such a column in the lesson plan table which is obligatory - what kind of lesson is it: listening or writing practice, for example. Now I strongly believe that it can be much more beneficial to teach integrated skills. And one of the arguments in favour of it is the Multiple intelligence theory. By the way, I shared the materials of the workshop with my colleagues and they found them useful and interesting. One of them, Ms Mishatkina, has even chosen it as her self-study methodological theme for the next academic year. So hopefully we will make some positive changes at our school.

I picked up a task suitable for my teaching situation. I think that Task Based Learning is good way to implement integrated skills practice. Again, it was not in our timetable but I watched the video lessons on TBL in course materials and read about Task Based Approach in order achieve my teaching goals. The article by Richard Frost helped me a lot to see the difference between it and PPP approach which is still dominating here. I should say that it worked. Both groups of students I taught, a group of gifted students who took extra classes in June for pleasure, and the group of students who had to go to summer school for two weeks for extra credit liked the way the lesson was organized. Only 3 students out of 15 (5 + 10) chose the answer “in a way” to the question if they liked the first lesson of English they had. All the other answers were “I liked it” which I find very motivating for me as a teacher.

While working on the task students practiced integrated skills: they read the role play cards information, discussed it orally in two groups (sport stars and yellow magazine publishes), took notes while discussing it and the publishers had to take notes on any changes they agree to while producing the role play in pairs as well. As there were an odd number of students in one of the groups, we decided to have a star, a publisher and his secretary whose task was to take the notes.

But there were some problems in the second group and next time I would plan and conduct the lesson differently in the class for lower level students to give them more support. I had expected that it would be different with different class but not that dramatically. I had to make lots of changes during the lesson and it helped in a way.

Firstly, I would split the lesson into two classes of 45 min. The first one would be “Getting to know each other” activity. I would extend it by giving more time for students to communicate during the mingle activity and report the results by every student because they liked the activity and were a little bit frustrated not to speak as long as they could. The pace of the lesson was too fast to half of them. It would be more productive to slow down and then maybe ask them to make a poster out of their notes about themselves, for example, and to put it on the classroom wall. It even could have a continuation – adding materials during their summer school - such materials as pictures, drawings, written works, etc.

So the second lesson would be spent on the role play only.

Secondly, having more time, I would elicit or even pre-teach students grammar structures they needed (reported speech) and some useful phrases for the dialogue to express the opinion politely. Moreover, I would make a kind of template for visual students or a model dialogue for the weakest students to give them more support and the feeling of achievement to motivate them. I could use the audio of the previous students' performance as an example. It would be beneficial for auditory students.

To sum up, I shall say that whatever we do at the lesson we should stick to the main principles of learner-centred classroom. I would put a wall reminder: I teach students, not the textbook! The learning situation depends on thousands of things and the main aim is to make school a better place students want to go to.

4 комментария

Рекомендуемые комментарии

It's interesting to read these reflexive lines, especially when there are such words as 'learner-centred', 'personalize', 'mingle', 'elicit', 'pre-teach'. What kind of course was that?

And it was even more interesting to watch the videos. I cannot but share my impressions. Hope they are constructive. :)

Video 1. Good to pre-teach/revise some of the phrases Ss can use but nominating just one S to read 2-3 of them doesn't do the trick, right? Why not ask all the Ss to repeat all the phrases chorally at least? At the end of this video it seems that Ss already know what they are supposed to do (writing some notes about themselves). I might have got it all wrong but the idea is to give the instructions first, then check them and only after that hand out the sheets. No?

Notes on language: Reminder - maybe there's a less diffuclt word? Blackboard - is it really black?

Video 2. I'd say it's counterproductive to ask Ss to read the Qs from the screen one by one. It eats into the time that could have been spent on the production phase. Why would T echo Ss' answers? TTT? Mingle - nice. Pity we can't see T while Ss asking and answering Qs. Is she monitoring and noting down the mistakes or monitoring to provide some help in case Ss have difficulty with language or understanding the task (a girl and a boy in the end of the video)?

Video 3. So it is the feedback on the mingle, right? Looks good but feels rehearsed at times (e.g. 'And I know now about Egor...'). Hope I'm wrong.

But all in all thanks for sharing all this.

Поделиться комментарием

Dear Avgust,

Thank you for taking time and your critical notes. They are helpful.

The courses are Teacher Training and Development Online Courses by British Council: The Certificate in Secondary English Language Teaching (CiSELT) - курс повышения квалификации учителей, работающих в средних школах с учащимися 11-18 лет. CiSELT состоит из двух уровней — Proficient and Advanced.

You can try to apply on one of them on http://www.britishcouncil.ru/teach-english/teacher-training or just to try sample units of my latest courses on http://courses.britishcouncil.org/teachertraining/

"Reminder - maybe there's a less diffuclt word?" - Maybe)) But it is the word commonly used for the thing.

"Blackboard - is it really black?" A cupboard - is it really for cups only?)))))

Anyway, here are how British trainer assesses the task. Probably it will help you to understand it better.

Final Assignment meets most of the requirements.

1. Learning Plans: Successful: the number of learning plans, stage aims and lesson procedures is sufficient and they are adequately well constructed and detailed; the stage aims logically lead to achievement of the learning outcomes; lack of clarity in two of them does not seriously impact the overall logics of the plan .

2. Understanding of learners’ needs. Successful: the lesson content, materials and activities suit the learners’ English level and age; the changes made in the lesson plan for the different group of learners demonstarate sensitivity to the learners' needs; some predictable issues are anticipated, the suggested solutions are sufficiently realistic

3. The use of appropriate materials and resources. Excellent: the materials and resources suit the learners’ English level and age, they are clear and creatively used to lead appropriately to the achievement of the learning outcomes.

4. Analysis and evaluation of lesson plan.Successful: the lesson evaluation is sufficiently clear and realistic, although not comprehensive; there is evidence of adequate understanding of what worked well and why, and of what didn’t work well and why, reasonable suggestions for future improvement are provided.

5. Ability to reflect on the lesson and gain insight to improve performance in the future. Excellent: clear and convincing suggestions for further improvement of the lesson follow logically from the descriptions of what went well and what didn’t go so well.

6. The application of knowledge and skills gained from the workshops.Successful: … knowledge gained from the workshops has been applied sufficiently and appropriately; integrated language skills reasonably fit the lesson and the learners’ needs; the rationale for using new knowledge has been made fairly explicit. The implementation of learner – centred approach in teaching, however, requires further consideration and practice.

Thank you! :)/>/>/>/>/>

Поделиться комментарием

Thanks for the criteria and additional comments. It's true - this leads to a better understanding of the whole thing.

It's a pity the demonstration of the classroom teaching skills is not assessed - just the plan. Did you have to send the videos to the trainer?

As for the reminder - it might be difficult for the students' level. And we just say 'the board' these days, as they are no longer black. I really liked the cupboard analogy though, it was unexpected :).

But it's all fine... I just read your post, watched the videos and felt nostalgic a little.

Поделиться комментарием

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас