ARW lesson plan notes
I have tried to give a lesson using some tips for the enquiry approach:
Celebrities speaking languages
- Warm up:
- Learners are told of the outcome for the lesson: to describe celebrities’ language abilities, how many and what languages they can speak and why it is important for them personally.
- Learners are told that they will work in small groups on 4 different personalities they can choose from the video:
2. Main activity:
- Learners work in groups and divide up the research that needs to be done and who will do it.
- Learners research the information about the personality on the Internet and in reference materials.
- Learners make notes on the information needed for their assignment.
- Learners work together to collate all the information they have in small groups. They evaluate the completeness of their research while filling in the table. (Mingle activity)
- Learners go back and do more research on anything missing.
- Learners discuss with teacher the appropriate language to be used.
- Teacher fills in the gaps in structure and vocabulary necessary.
- Learners write a draft of their sketch.
Peer correction takes place.
3. Follow up:
Learners edit their draft and produce a final draft for the class and the teacher.
These can be displayed.
- Who speaks Hebrew? (Natalie Portman)
- What is the most popular language among the celebrities we have read about?
- Why do people celebrate European Day of Languages?