Перейти к содержимому
Алексей Конобеев

A native speaker vs a non-native speaker as a teacher of English

Рекомендуемые сообщения

In some of the discussion threads here on this forum I've seen that some people believe that a native speaker will make a better teacher of English than a non-native one. This seems to me one of the phrases to which I normally answer with a "Yes, but..."

Like with any other statement, a lot depends on the circumstances here. I've tried to put together some of the pros and cons of a native speaker working as a teacher of English in a Russian school, and I'd be interested in seeing what you'd agree with and how the list could be enlarged.

So, the "pros" first:

- a native speaker knows word collocations and can use the correct register and style in the classroom

- a native speaker can explain many cultural concepts that someone who did not grow up in the country would be unaware of

- a native speaker has an "authentic" pronunciation and therefore by the power of example can prevent the students from developing certain mistakes and wrong speech habits.

But there are some "cons" that I see here as well:

- a native speaker usually does not know well enough the system of the students' native language and therefore cannot take into account the problems that are likely to arise as well as the strengths and similarities he/she can build upon

- a native speaker is not familiar with the cultural peculiarities of the students and therefore may not always know what material and concepts would be culturally difficult for the students

- a native speaker would not always know how the subject that he/she teaches relater to other subjects across the curriculum and how the information presented in class would either promote or slow down the students' comprehension.

I am still working on expanding this list and would be very interested in your views.

Поделиться сообщением

I have studied with native speakers and russian private teachers.

My point is that native speakers are more interesting in a conversation. But as you noticed they usually are not very skilled in teaching foreign students. They also can't understand real obstacles and problems of study English. My native English teachers usually thought the main problem to understand some english text was that students did not realize some key words regarding to the drift, and they explained us those words, such as a baker or full-time work. However our main problem was that we did not undersand the text or their speaking particularly. We could just understand them without complicated details.

A russian teacher usually can explain most things particularly and let a student feel real difference between tenses and meanings of words. The student also can figure out why he must use such an expression. But a russian teacher usually has wrong pronounciation and poor vocabulary, unless those who lived abroad for quite a long time. Russian teachers usually don't want to work individually, I imply private teachers. They usually offer a common pogramm of study without comparing to level of a student.

Изменено пользователем Cherokee

Поделиться сообщением

To me the best way is study with both kinds of teachers combinationally, surely if a student has enough fund to do it.

Изменено пользователем Cherokee

Поделиться сообщением

When the teacher is a native speaker the students don't even try to epress their ideas in Russian. It's much easier and more intersting to study English. Though they have certain difficulties in teaching grammar and vocabulary...

Поделиться сообщением

When the teacher is a native speaker the students don't even try to epress their ideas in Russian. It's much easier and more intersting to study English.

That does depend on circumstances in the classroom and abilities of a teacher to interest his students in study English. I don't agree it is obviously easier and more interesting as there is a probability of lack of interest at all because a pupil will not be able to understand completely. I am not a teacher, I am as a student. So you can see the point of one who studies English, but does not teach English (however I am not sure my opinion seems to be common)

Поделиться сообщением

That does depend on circumstances in the classroom and abilities of a teacher to interest his students in study English. I don't agree it is obviously easier and more interesting as there is a probability of lack of interest at all because a pupil will not be able to understand completely. I am not a teacher, I am as a student. So you can see the point of one who studies English, but does not teach English (however I am not sure my opinion seems to be common)

Not only students but also teachers have some difficulties understanding native speakers... It's very natural...

Поделиться сообщением

I entirely agree with you. Needless to say, a good teacher should spek the language well, but only the ability to speak the language correctly and fluently is obviously not enough to be a successful teacher. Another thing that sprang to my mind this morning is that a teacher who shares the cultural background with his/her students will understand some of the idioms and implications that lie beneath certain expressions, he/she will share a whole cultural background, which is a serious strength to build upon. At the same time, such a teacher will clearer see the cultural differences that need explaining and therefore can better help the students to consciously develop their socio-cultural competence rather than deduce it from random occurencies of such differences in the classroom.

This is by no means to say that a non-native speaker would make a better teacher, but rather to imply that each will have his/her own strengths and weaknesses and when choosing a teacher we can foresee some aspects and outcomes of teaching notwithstanding the professional qualities of the teacher.

Поделиться сообщением

You are quite right: people aren't often interested in anything if they aren't able to understand it. I'm a teacher and I prefer the teachers (I mean the natives) who can speak the language of their students. But it is so difficult to meet such an ideal :)

Поделиться сообщением

But it is so difficult to meet such an ideal

Today it's very popular teaching a foreign language without any translation. I have already tried this method with two of my students from Spain. They don't speak Russian and I don't speak Spanish at all. At first I was working with the help of pictures and then I was trying to explain some abstract words with the help of miming... Frankly speaking I don't speak Russian at my lessons in our school. My students understand me easily without any translation... We explain unknown words in simple English words... I work in this way in the 8th-11th grades....

Поделиться сообщением

а какие еще способы есть, чтобы мотивировать учеников употреблять только English и ничего кроме Инглиша? ведь монолингвы - это сложная аудитория, особенно, если ты сама, учительница, тоже русская...

Поделиться сообщением

а какие еще способы есть, чтобы мотивировать учеников употреблять только English и ничего кроме Инглиша? ведь монолингвы - это сложная аудитория, особенно, если ты сама, учительница, тоже русская...

Шутливый штраф за каждое русское слово (даже для учителя).

Поделиться сообщением

But it is so difficult to meet such an ideal

Today it's very popular teaching a foreign language without any translation... Frankly speaking I don't speak Russian at my lessons in our school. My students understand me easily without any translation... We explain unknown words in simple English words... I work in this way in the 8th-11th grades....

Такой метод обучения, конечно, позволяет накапливать словарный запас и совершенствовать навыки говорения. А как же принцип учёта родного языка? Вы его полностью или частично игнорируете? В истории методики обучения ИЯ уже был опыт без переводного метода, который не оправдал себя. Думаю, что teaching a foreign language without any translation можно использовать на занятиях, как приём, но не постоянно или в случае с иностранцами, хотя они тоже могут что-то не уловить, особенно абстрактные понятия.

Поделиться сообщением

In some of the discussion threads here on this forum I've seen that some people believe that a native speaker will make a better teacher of English than a non-native one. This seems to me one of the phrases to which I normally answer with a "Yes, but..."

Like with any other statement, a lot depends on the circumstances here. I've tried to put together some of the pros and cons of a native speaker working as a teacher of English in a Russian school, and I'd be interested in seeing what you'd agree with and how the list could be enlarged.

So, the "pros" first:

- a native speaker knows word collocations and can use the correct register and style in the classroom

- a native speaker can explain many cultural concepts that someone who did not grow up in the country would be unaware of

- a native speaker has an "authentic" pronunciation and therefore by the power of example can prevent the students from developing certain mistakes and wrong speech habits.

But there are some "cons" that I see here as well:

- a native speaker usually does not know well enough the system of the students' native language and therefore cannot take into account the problems that are likely to arise as well as the strengths and similarities he/she can build upon

- a native speaker is not familiar with the cultural peculiarities of the students and therefore may not always know what material and concepts would be culturally difficult for the students

- a native speaker would not always know how the subject that he/she teaches relater to other subjects across the curriculum and how the information presented in class would either promote or slow down the students' comprehension.

I am still working on expanding this list and would be very interested in your views.

All the problems can be found in any student book written by native speakers - authors. They only give the most common structures, rules and their books are for people living in the environment of English language ( a Zone of English only). The books aren't written for Russia/China/Italy/.../ only (the dialogues included, too). And the attempt results.

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас