Перейти к содержимому

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Weather idioms

http://dreamreader.net/lesson/weather-idioms-lesson-10

As right as rain

This means to be healthy, especially after being ill.

Example: I have been off work for week, but I’m right as rain now.

Be a breeze

If something is a breeze, it is very easy to do.

Example: My English test was a breeze. I answered all the questions in less than 10 minutes.

Be snowed under

To be snowed under means to have too much to do.

Example: I’m snowed under at the moment because I have three reports to write and four tests to study for.

Here are some examples of English idioms that use the weather. As you work through these lessons you will notice they go in alphabetical order. Lesson 2 below has words starting with the letters B – C.

A bolt from the blue

If something is a bolt from the blue it is unexpected and takes you by surprise.

Example: My teacher quit this week. She is moving to another country. Her news was a bolt from the blue.

Break the ice

To break the ice is to make someone feel relaxed in a social situation, usually by starting a conversation.

Example: It was really awkward until James started talking and broke the ice.

Calm before the storm

The calm before the storm is a quiet, peaceful period of time before a really busy period.

Example: Tomorrow is test week, so I’m going to relax today and enjoy the calm before the storm.

Here are some examples of English idioms that use the weather. As you work through these lessons you will notice they go in alphabetical order. Lesson 3 below has words starting with the letters C – E.

Chase rainbows

If a person chases rainbows, they try to do something that is impossible to achieve.

Example: I think he is chasing rainbows try to start a new business.

Come rain or shine

Come rain or shine simply means whatever happens. It is often used to show that you can be depended on to be there no matter what the situation is.

Example: Come rain or shine, I’ll be there to help you tomorrow.

Every cloud has a silver lining

This is used to show that every difficult or unpleasant situation can have positive advantages.

Example: I failed my driving test, but every cloud has a silver lining because now I can keep fit by cycling to work.

Here are some examples of English idioms that use the weather. As you work through these lessons you will notice they go in alphabetical order. Lesson 4 below has words starting with the letters F – G.

A face like thunder

If someone has a face like thunder, they look very angry about something.

Example: When she heard she only got a “B” on her test, she had a face like thunder.

A fair-weather friend

If someone is a fair-weather friend, they are a person who is only your friend in good times.

Example: He was a fair-weather friend because he would only hang out with me when I would pay for him.

Get wind of something

This means to discover something that should have been a secret.

Example: John got wind of our plan to have birthday party for him.

Here are some examples of English idioms that use the weather. As you work through these lessons you will notice they go in alphabetical order. Lesson 5 below has words starting with the letters G – I.

Go down a storm

If something goes down a storm, it has been very successful or enjoyable.

Example: The new lessons on dreamreader.net have gone down a storm.

Have your head in the clouds

This means to be out of touch with reality.

Example: If she thinks I’m going to pay all that money for an old car like that, she must have her head in the clouds.

In a fog

If you are in a fog, you feel confused or find it difficult to think.

Example: I’m so tired my head is in a fog.

It never rains but it pours (when it rains, it pours in the US)

This is said when something bad happens, then other bad things happen just after often making the situation worse.

Example: First my car broke down, and then I realized I had forgotten my phone, so I couldn’t call anyone. It never rains but it pours.

On cloud nine

This means to be extremely happy.

Example: I got a promotion at work today. I’m on cloud nine.

Put on ice

To put something on ice is to postpone something.

Example: Jenny is sick, so we’ll have to put her party on ice for the time being

Quick as lightning

If someone is as quick as lightning, they are very fast.

Example: Our new winger on the football team is quick as lightning.

Quiet before the storm

The quiet before the storm is the period of time when you know that something is about to happen, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Example: The students haven’t arrived yet, so I’m just enjoying the quiet before the storm.

Raining cats and dogs

This means it is raining very hard.

Example: I hope you have an umbrella because it is raining cats and dogs outside

A ray of hope

A chance that something positive might happen

Example: I don’t think I got the job, but there is always a ray of hope.

Save for a rainy day

To save money for the future when you might need it

Example: I’m saving my money from my part-time job for a rainy day.

Steal someone’s thunder

If someone steals somebody’s thunder they take attention away from them.

Example: The bridesmaid stole the bride’s thunder because she looked so beautiful.

Storm in a teacup

A storm in a teacup is when someone makes a small problem bigger than it really is.

Example: I had a fight with my girlfriend about grocery shopping. It’s just a storm in a teacup.

A storm is brewing

When a storm is brewing it is a sign that something is about to become bad or something is about to go wrong.

Example: You could tell before the argument that a storm was brewing.

Take a rain check

When you take a rain check, you refuse an invitation, but offer to meet at another time.

Example: I’d love to have coffee with you, but I’m going to have to take a rain check on that. Let’s meet tomorrow when I’m not so busy.

Throw caution to the wind

To throw caution to the wind is to take a big risk.

Example: Why don’t we throw caution to the wind and quit our jobs and start a new business?

Under the weather

When you are under the weather, you are not feeling well.

Example: I’ve been feeling under the weather all week.

Weather a storm

If you weather a storm, you manage to overcome or survive a difficult situation.

Example: The football team had to defend for the last 20 minutes, but they weathered the storm.

Поделиться сообщением

Weather idioms

http://dreamreader.net/lesson/weather-idioms-lesson-10

As right as rain

Очень полезно!  Спасибо.

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас