Перейти к содержимому

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Если честно, то мне уже всё равно. устала.....

Дорогая Мария, усталость это должно быть временное явление у Вас... Вам еще работать и работать... Don't give in....You should be full of enthusiasm...You're still very young.... If I were you I'd take a short rest....:)

Поделиться сообщением

Если честно, то мне уже всё равно. устала.....

Не надо о грустном! Скоро лето...отдохнем!!!

Поделиться сообщением

Любопытное исследование грамотности жителей Детройта:

According to estimates by The National Institute for Literacy, roughly 47 percent of adults in Detroit, Michigan -- 200,000 total -- are "functionally illiterate," meaning they have trouble with reading, speaking, writing and computational skills. Even more surprisingly, the Detroit Regional Workforce finds half of that illiterate population has obtained a high school degree.

The DRWF report places particular focus on the lack of resources available to those hoping to better educate themselves, with fewer than 10 percent of those in need of help actually receiving it. Only 18 percent of the programs surveyed serve English-language learners, despite 10 percent of the adult population of Detroit speaking English "less than very well."

Additionally, the report finds, one in three workers in the state of Michigan lack the skills or credentials to pursue additional education beyond high school.

Отсюда: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/07/detroit-illiteracy-nearly-half-education_n_858307.html

Поделиться сообщением

According to estimates by The National Institute for Literacy, roughly 47 percent of adults in Detroit, Michigan -- 200,000 total -- are "functionally illiterate," meaning they have trouble with reading, speaking, writing and computational skills. Even more surprisingly, the Detroit Regional Workforce finds half of that illiterate population has obtained a high school degree.

Я так понимаю, что мы уверенно движемся в том же направлении. Сегодня поочередно общалась с двумя коллегами, каждый рассказывал о какой-то своей абсолютно необучаемой подгруппе. 918fa927173a90b851e4e81a243b8670.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Three in 10 children in the UK do not own a single book of their own, with alarming implications for their future prospects, according to new research. The survey by the National Literacy Trust also shows that boys are less likely to own books than girls.

The survey of 18,141 young people found that four in 10 boys did not own any books, compared to three in 10 girls. Children who did not own books were two-and-a-half times more likely (19%) to read below their expected level than children who had their own books (7.6%), and were also significantly less likely (35.7%) to read above their expected level than book-owning children (54.9%). The online survey took place in November and December last year, with the majority of participants aged between 11 and 13 years old.

"People tend to think that literacy is an international development issue, [but] actually we have got massive literacy problems in this country," said Jonathan Douglas, director of the National Literacy Trust. "To be brutally honest we weren't expecting [the number of children without their own books] to be so high. We know that book ownership in this country is really strongly linked to literacy issues and social mobility."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/01/three-in-10-uk-children-own-no-books

А как в российских семьях с книгами? Я до сих пор помню, как англичанин-мой сосед по комнате в студенческом общежитии с гордостью рассказывал мне, что у него книг много, about 40. И когда он увидел, что я не очень впечатлен был этой цифрой, спросил: And how many hae you got? Глаза у него слегка округлились после моего ответа The last time I counted, there were about 2800. Но тогда мне казалось, что Дэвид - исключение из правил. Оказалось, что не исключение.

Поделиться сообщением

Three in 10 children in the UK do not own a single book of their own, with alarming implications for their future prospects, according to new research. The survey by the National Literacy Trust also shows that boys are less likely to own books than girls.

В пособиях Vocabulary in Use уровни Preintermediate/Intermediate и Upper intermediate отсутствует topic "Books". Выражения, связанные с газетами, телевидением, компьютером, Интернетом есть, а с книгами нет.

unsure.gif

Поделиться сообщением

В пособиях Vocabulary in Use уровни Preintermediate/Intermediate и Upper intermediate отсутствует topic "Books". Выражения, связанные с газетами, телевидением, компьютером, Интернетом есть, а с книгами нет.

unsure.gif

Да и в России, книга давно уже далеко не "лучший подарок". Хотя, в книге все-таки что-то есть притягательное. Может это я по старинке что-то чувствую? Для детей современной России, Шрек - лучший друг и советчик)))

Поделиться сообщением

unsure.gif

Тоже показательно. В американских университетах студенты-носители языка обязательно проходят курс English 101, где изучают правила, особенности употребления языка, учатся писать эссе и так далее. Вообще, этот курс посвящен English composition, но обязательно включает в себя грамматику. Почему? Просто потому что огромное количество студентов-носителей языка в США после школы не умеют писать сочинения, не знают родной грамматики и так далее. Просто так учат в школах, таков уровень выпускников, что без специального курса в колледже и без справочника не справляются с простыми задачами по использованию родного языка. Вот то, что изучают на занятиях по этому предмету в университете Аризоны: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~sung/english101/#Syllabus

А вот советы как этот курс успешно пройти: http://grammar.about.com/od/yourwriting/a/freshcomptips.htm

Поделиться сообщением

А вот какой метод "борьбы за английский язык" придумал владелец американского кафе:

"Greg Simons, the owner of Reedy Creek Diner in North Carolina, became frustrated over his inability to communicate with non-English speaking customers. So, he took a controversial step: He posted an ‘English Only’ sign. Simons claims that the results have been unbelievable. He’s received support and acclaim from people across the nation. And, his business has been surging." На сайте есть интервью с ним, любопытно послушать: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/restaurant-owner-claims-his-business-has-tripled-since-posting-english-only-sign/

Может стать хорошим discussion starter для урока в 9-11 старших классах (владелец кафе сам говорит очень медленно, словно у него самого большие проблемы с английским).

Поделиться сообщением

Коллеги, а что вы думаете о содержании этой статьи? http://www.rosbalt.r.../13/848526.html

Почему-то идеи, в ней декларируемые, противоречат тому, что я вижу на практике. Во всяком случае в нашей школе известно, что наши молодые учителя математики не в состоянии решать те задачи, которые решают наши пенсионерки. Или это только в нашей школе?

Обращаю ваше внимание также на то, что там опять фигурирует госпожа Абанкина, директор Института развития образования Высшей школы экономики, поразившая меня до этого утверждением, что учителя в нашей стране "имеют хороший соцпакет".

Ну тут тоже есть всякие мысли по поводу нашего образования: http://www.rosbalt.ru/moscow/2011/05/16/849070.html Г-жа Абанкина участвует в обсуждении: "По данным, приведенным Ириной Абанкиной, около 88% сегодняшних учеников ненавидят школу..."

Поделиться сообщением

"A Florida teacher is off the hook for punching a student in the face, but whether she'll get to return to her job is still in question.

Prosecutors decided to drop their case against art teacher Sandy Hadsock, 64, saying a student's cell phone video of the confrontation last month, along with witness statements, show she acted in self defense, "Today" reports.

"I told you, step back," the much taller boy shouts at Hadsock before she busts his lip.

The student has not been identified, according to "Today," but other students in the classroom say he backed the teacher up against a wall, calling her "vulgar" names.

Initially arrested and charged with felony child abuse, Hadsock -- who was voted the school's teacher of the year last year by students -- was placed on leave -- her first disciplinary action in 23 years with the Hernando County school district, according to the news show.

But, despite, the charges being dropped, school officials tell "Today" they have not yet decided if she'll be allowed to return to the school."

Продолжение истории плюс видеорепортаж и интервью с учительницей: http://www.parentdish.com/2011/06/06/teacher-doesnt-regret-punching-student/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk3|68567

Из комментариев к статье:

"Unfortunately in the eyes of the public and administration, it's always the teacher who is wrong. Doesn't matter that a probably full grown violent male physically backed a 64 year old woman against a wall in front of her students. A teacher is always supposed to take the abuse. Sadly, the "no physical contact "rule will only be changed when a teacher is seriously injured or killed by one of her "children".Then it will probably still be considered the teacher's fault."

"Good for her. Classrooms do not teach anymore because the administrations do not allow teachers to enforce discipline. If they fire her or punish her in any way, they are contributing ... again...to the dissolution of standards that are producing our 50% drop out rates. "

"I totally agree with you doug. I am a high school teacher and there have been numerous times when I have been threatened, verbally assaulted, etc.I have been pushed to the limits where I wanted to defend myself. Luckily, I never have made it physical. I am sure, however, that if I did, I would be in shackles led off to the pokey. It is no longer a respected job and hasn't been for a long time. When kids are allowed to answer for their mistakes and not taken care of by mommy and daddy, then and only then, will we see any kind of change in kids' behavior. In the mean time, I have 2 years left in this profession and then I'm out. However, there is nothing else I would rather be doing than being a teacher and helping kids become who they want to be. As for Mrs. Hadstock, we are all jealous because you did what many of us have not. Lol"

Поделиться сообщением

"Unfortunately in the eyes of the public and administration, it's always the teacher who is wrong. Doesn't matter that a probably full grown violent male physically backed a 64 year old woman against a wall in front of her students. A teacher is always supposed to take the abuse.

Похоже, скоро в школу будут идти работать только экстремалы, которым адреналина в обычной жизни не хватает.angry.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Похоже, скоро в школу будут идти работать только экстремалы, которым адреналина в обычной жизни не хватает.angry.gif

Без всяких шуток можно утверждать, что учитель работает в социальной среде, в которой могут находиться потенциально опасные для учителя и учащихся элементы. Отрицать это - значит игнорировать особенности нашей с вами работы. Мы всегда среди скопления людей, дышим тем, что другие выдыхают или выделяют, получаем обилие инфекции, ощущаем на себе постоянное внимание, реагируем на множество раздражителей одновременно, и, безусловно подвергаемся вербальным или даже физическим испытаниям (получить нечаянный толчок в бок на перемене - это обычное дело). Поэтому в образование идут люди, которые склонны работать в системе "человек - человек". А кто сказал, что человек-человек - это здоровая среда? Человек конечно звучит очень гордо. Особенно некоторые родители и их дети. А еще если папа прилично пьян... Все бывает. Видали.

Поделиться сообщением

Поэтому в образование идут люди, которые склонны работать в системе "человек - человек". А кто сказал, что человек-человек - это здоровая среда? Человек конечно звучит очень гордо. Особенно некоторые родители и их дети. А еще если папа прилично пьян... Все бывает. Видали.

Просто теперь и дети, и родители с каждым годом становятся все более агрессивными. Это у нас открыто обсуждается на педсоветах. unsure.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Просто теперь и дети, и родители с каждым годом становятся все более агрессивными. Это у нас открыто обсуждается на педсоветах. unsure.gif

Агрессивность наверное была всегда, но формы ее выражения меняются от скрытых к все более открытым - от вербальной к физической. Одна из причин - тенденция к свободному самовыражению личности, которая пришла в традиционную Россию с запада. Вместе с явными преимуществами развития личности, приходится наблюдать и вот такой негативный impact. Самовыражается не только добро, но и всякое другое.

Поделиться сообщением

Да и в России, книга давно уже далеко не "лучший подарок". Хотя, в книге все-таки что-то есть притягательное. Может это я по старинке что-то чувствую? Для детей современной России, Шрек - лучший друг и советчик)))

Как раз недавно пригласили друзья на день рожденья сыну 6 лет и с 1 сентября идёт в 1 класс. Думала, думала и купила энциклопедию юного техника с огромным количеством иллюстраций и разными секретными окошками(заданиями) + сделать модель лодки. Даря подарок обратила внимание на другие подарки- там были одни машинки и какие-то китайские пистолеты , вот так сами взрослые отворачивают детей от книг, подруга потом позвонила и очень благодарила за подарок. Поэтому в сложившейся ситуации, мы взрослые часто сами виноваты.

Поделиться сообщением

The idea is good, although it's not so easy to realise at the moment, what with all the legal and bureacratic issues involved.

Team teaching is an interesting way of teaching, and I've experienced soe as a student in an American university. Like with any other teaching, some lessons were pretty good, and others not so good. With team teaching it's very important to distinctly draw the borders between the roles of the teachers. That is, either each teacher teaches on his own at a particular stage of the lesson, or both teachers work as facilittaors, thus breaking the class into smaller, more manageable groups and providing support to more students. With the situation that you describe, that is when one teachers is a native speaker, but not a qualified teacher, and the other one is a qualified teacher but not a native speaker, I'd allocate the following roles: 1. The "teacher" teacher introduces new material and provides all the necessary explanatrions and some controlled practice

2. The 'speaker" teacher offers conversational practice, where he can correct some of the studnets' mistakes but does not have to do the main explaining which requires a deeper level of linguistic and methodological knowledge.

Perhaps a more viable idea now would be to use skype and involve native speakers in some parts of the lessons?

I see that the discussion started in 2009 and I wonder if you are still ready to discuss the topic. I don't mean schools in the future. You mentioned native speakers and I would like to ask you a question related to this. Do you think it is appropriate to explain some grammar rules in Russian that native speakers can't do?

Поделиться сообщением

I see that the discussion started in 2009 and I wonder if you are still ready to discuss the topic. I don't mean schools in the future. You mentioned native speakers and I would like to ask you a question related to this. Do you think it is appropriate to explain some grammar rules in Russian that native speakers can't do?

Sure! You can explain grammar rules in Russian when you see it's really hard to understand or schoolchildren don't have enough knowledge of English.. I'm trying to do it in English in high school ( I mean 10th & 11th grades).

Поделиться сообщением

Любопытная и печальная новость:

"Правоохранительные органы Иркутской области начали проверку по факту самоубийства 23-летней девушки, которая покончила с собой, вернувшись из США. Об этом сообщают в региональном управлении МВД РФ.

Тело без признаков насильственной смерти было обнаружено 19 августа под железнодорожным мостом на острове Конный. Девушка повесилась на собственном шарфе.

При себе у нее были деньги, заграничный паспорт и записка с текстом на английском языке, содержание которой не раскрывается. "Сейчас с запиской работают эксперты, переводят английский текст", - заявили в местном управлении СК РФ.

По версии полицейских, причиной самоубийства стало сильное психологическое расстройство. Несколько месяцев назад девушка вернулась из США, где обучалась в течение четырех лет в экономическом университете, и долгое время не могла найти работу на родине. В то же время в пресс-службе местного управления СК отметили, что девушка с восьми лет проживала и обучалась за рубежом.

Читать полностью: http://top.rbc.ru/incidents/21/08/2012/665468.shtml"

Как-то сомнительно, чтобы такие дела были связаны с учебой.

Поделиться сообщением

Интересная статья:

"When I was a boy London was a dowdy place of tea-houses and stale rock cakes where everybody spoke English. When I come back now it's much more exciting – and not just because the food has improved. On the 37 bus, on Kilburn High Road and in Sainsbury's, I can hear people speaking in all the languages of the world. Was that Pashto or Hindi I heard in the queue? I can just about differentiate Polish from Lithuanian, and delight in hearing them mingled with snatches of French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese … London has become the capital of linguistic diversity.

But there's one important group that seems to be leaving itself out: students. Foreign language learning at Britain's schools has been in decline for decades, while the number of universities offering degrees in modern languages has plummeted. Indeed, an inquiry is now under way after the number of teenagers taking traditional modern foreign languages at A-level fell to its lowest level since the mid-90s. It's a paradox.

There's a widespread notion that since English is the new Latin, native speakers don't need to learn to speak anything else. The Romans were not so foolish. Their empire was populated almost exclusively by bilinguals. In a cemetery near Newcastle upon Tyne, there's a Roman gravestone inscribed in Latin and in Palmyrean (the ancient kingdom situated in what is now Syria). The eastern part of the Roman empire used Greek, not Latin, and most people around the eastern Mediterranean spoke Aramaic, Egyptian, Punic or one of a welter of other languages along with Greek or/and Latin. The idea that because English is now a widely spoken international language, English speakers need nothing else is then very much a modern invention, with no precedent in older civilisations.

Of course, there have also been monolingual societies in the past, but I'm not sure any of today's youngsters would like the kind of life that they offered. Edo Japan (from the 17th to the mid-19th century) allowed its people no contact at all with the outside world. But we live in the age of easyJet!

There was a time when everyone – meaning the European elite – spoke French. But that was a time when most French people were themselves bilingual, speaking a regional language (Provençal, Breton, Catalan or Alsatian). Today too, when "everyone speaks English", most of its speakers worldwide also speak something else. Just one small group (as a proportion of English speakers overall, it is very small indeed) seems set on isolating itself from the world: British schoolchildren who have no second language at home." и далее: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/18/britain-nation-solitary-monoglots-languages

Поделиться сообщением

Интересная статья:

"When I was a boy London was a dowdy place of tea-houses and stale rock cakes where everybody spoke English. When I come back now it's much more exciting – and not just because the food has improved. On the 37 bus, on Kilburn High Road and in Sainsbury's, I can hear people speaking in all the languages of the world. Was that Pashto or Hindi I heard in the queue? I can just about differentiate Polish from Lithuanian, and delight in hearing them mingled with snatches of French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese … London has become the capital of linguistic diversity.

But there's one important group that seems to be leaving itself out: students. Foreign language learning at Britain's schools has been in decline for decades, while the number of universities offering degrees in modern languages has plummeted. Indeed, an inquiry is now under way after the number of teenagers taking traditional modern foreign languages at A-level fell to its lowest level since the mid-90s. It's a paradox.

There's a widespread notion that since English is the new Latin, native speakers don't need to learn to speak anything else. The Romans were not so foolish. Their empire was populated almost exclusively by bilinguals. In a cemetery near Newcastle upon Tyne, there's a Roman gravestone inscribed in Latin and in Palmyrean (the ancient kingdom situated in what is now Syria). The eastern part of the Roman empire used Greek, not Latin, and most people around the eastern Mediterranean spoke Aramaic, Egyptian, Punic or one of a welter of other languages along with Greek or/and Latin. The idea that because English is now a widely spoken international language, English speakers need nothing else is then very much a modern invention, with no precedent in older civilisations.

Of course, there have also been monolingual societies in the past, but I'm not sure any of today's youngsters would like the kind of life that they offered. Edo Japan (from the 17th to the mid-19th century) allowed its people no contact at all with the outside world. But we live in the age of easyJet!

There was a time when everyone – meaning the European elite – spoke French. But that was a time when most French people were themselves bilingual, speaking a regional language (Provençal, Breton, Catalan or Alsatian). Today too, when "everyone speaks English", most of its speakers worldwide also speak something else. Just one small group (as a proportion of English speakers overall, it is very small indeed) seems set on isolating itself from the world: British schoolchildren who have no second language at home." и далее: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/18/britain-nation-solitary-monoglots-languages

Да, любопытно. Англичан начинает волновать проблема их моноязычности.

Поделиться сообщением

Те кто много ездит по разным странам замечает что английского языка всегда было недостаточно если он требовался помимо ситуаций типа "Где туалет?"

Поделиться сообщением

Не только англичане, но и американцы и все остальные включая русских серёзно думают о том, что сегодня даже зная два языка иногда чувствуют себя беспомощным...

Как можно жить и работать в стране и не учить их язык? У меня есть ученики, которые живут и работают в Париже и говорят на армянском, русском, английском и конечно французском языках...Даже знают на базовом уровне испанский и итальянские языки...Хотя было бы лучше договорится и говорить только на одном языке...laugh.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Не только англичане, но и американцы и все остальные включая русских серёзно думают о том, что сегодня даже зная два языка иногда чувствуют себя беспомощным...

Как можно жить и работать в стране и не учить их язык? У меня есть ученики, которые живут и работают в Париже и говорят на армянском, русском, английском и конечно французском языках...Даже знают на базовом уровне испанский и итальянские языки...Хотя было бы лучше договорится и говорить только на одном языке...laugh.gif

В России надо подумать об изучении языков мигрантов.Пригодится больше в будущем.

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас