• Да, это интересно
    • Да, это поможет мне поддерживать мой английский
    • Да, я смогу использовать некоторые выражения в классе
    • Да, и я тоже буду добавлять сюда интересные выражения
    • Нет, это неинтересно
    • Нет, это не принесет пользы
    • Нет

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Dear colleagues, I am often asked during seminars and workshops to do a presentation in English or even on new developments in the English language. Usually, in everyday communication I come across all sorts of colloquial expressions which I think some teachers will be interested to know either to use in class or to be able to answer their pupils' questions. If you think that this would be interesting, I am prepared to write a little on this topic every day (with the possible exception of week-ends :D ) .

So here comes today's expression:

a cheat chain - describes a situation when one pupil copies from another clever pupil and then passes the answers down to other children, so that they all end up having the answers produced by the clever pupil.

Поделиться сообщением

If you think that this would be interesting, I am prepared to write a little on this topic every day (with the possible exception of week-ends :D ) .

Это прекрасная затея! Может, отдельную такую новостную строчку на форуме завести? Чтобы бОльшая наглядность получилась, для такого актуального материала.

Поделиться сообщением

I am prepared to write a little on this topic every day (with the possible exception of week-ends :D ) .

So here comes today's expression:

a cheat chain - describes a situation when one pupil copies from another clever pupil and then passes the answers down to other children, so that they all end up having the answers produced by the clever pupil.

Your idea is great , do start without any hesitation! And I think it would be nice of you to give two colloquial expressions instead of one twice a week to excuse your possible exception of week-ends :D

Изменено пользователем Любомира

Поделиться сообщением

Virtual Friday - the last day of a working week if you have Friday off due to a holiday. For example, April 30, a Thursday, will be a Virtual Friday this year.

Поделиться сообщением

economic vegetarian - a person who cannot afford to buy meat. For example: "With this crisis lots of my friends have become economic vegetarians"

Поделиться сообщением

economic vegetarian - a person who cannot afford to buy meat. For example: "With this crisis lots of my friends have become economic vegetarians"

how very revealing... :blink:

Поделиться сообщением

a mouse potato - someone who spends time surfing the Internet or playing computer games. Similar to couch potato.

Wow! Never heard! It's just about me. I live in the net.

Поделиться сообщением

Your idea is great , do start without any hesitation! And I think it would be nice of you to give two colloquial expressions instead of one twice a week to excuse your possible exception of week-ends :D

I fully agree with you. :blink: It's great fun and useful by all means.

Поделиться сообщением

a mouse potato - someone who spends time surfing the Internet or playing computer games. Similar to couch potato.

Live and learn. :blink:

Поделиться сообщением

photobombing - posing in other people's photos, making funny faces or signs so that the subjects of the photo could only see it when they get the photograph. Usually photobombing is intended as a surprise, but very often it spoils otherwise good photos.

Поделиться сообщением

photobombing - posing in other people's photos, making funny faces or signs so that the subjects of the photo could only see it when they get the photograph. Usually photobombing is intended as a surprise, but very often it spoils otherwise good photos.

Do you have an idea, how we can use photobombing in teaching English? - for fun, to describe peaple?

Поделиться сообщением

Do you have an idea, how we can use photobombing in teaching English? - for fun, to describe peaple?

I'd introduce the concept to children and when we learn how to describe people or actions, I'd ask someone who'd be good at photobombing to mimic something whereas other pupils would have to say how he looks (like, funny, silly etc) or wht they reaction would be if they had such a photobomber in their pictures. This could be an eye-opener for some kids who think that their sense of humour is immaculate.

Поделиться сообщением

I'll pencil you in - that's what somebody can say when they make an appointment with you but they are not sure they can keep it.

Поделиться сообщением

I'll pencil you in - that's what somebody can say when they make an appointment with you but they are not sure they can keep it.

i've met some interesting expressions in the book i'm reading

maybe they will be in place

duck rabbit picture - a picture which shows two images but you can see only one at the moment depending on the visual angle

the penny dropped - the character uses it when the answer to an intricate question comes to his mind after some ocasianal observation

Поделиться сообщением

i've met some interesting expressions in the book i'm reading

maybe they will be in place

duck rabbit picture - a picture which shows two images but you can see only one at the moment depending on the visual angle

the penny dropped - the character uses it when the answer to an intricate question comes to his mind after some ocasianal observation

I quite like the "the penny dropped" image" :-)

Поделиться сообщением

web shy - a person who is reluctant to write anything in a webforum or just on the interten because he is afraid that too many people will get too know too much about him/her

Поделиться сообщением

echo chamber - a person, who agrees completely with everything another person says. For example: "At our departmental meeting the director suggested cutting several teachers' salaries. No one supported him except Jackie, but you know what an echo chamber she is!"

Поделиться сообщением

Spring seems to be finally settling in around Moscow, so a lot of people are thinking of gardening and flowers now. Here's an idiom that I really like. to have a green thumb means to be good at growing flowers, fruits and vegetables, to have a natural talent for it. For example: "Judging by the sorry state of my indoor plants, I definitely have no green thumb", or: "Have you seen the huge vegetables in Mary's back garden? She has a green thumb, that's for sure!"

Поделиться сообщением

a foul weather friend - someone who comes to you only when they are in trouble and need a shoulder to lean on. They never need your company when everything's alright and they are happy. This expression is the opposite of a fair weather friend, which means someone who is your friend only when everything's alright with you but will leave you the first moment you're in trouble.

Поделиться сообщением

a backseat surfer - when you go online, someone who is standing behind you, looking on your screen over your shoulder and recommending which websites to go to.

Поделиться сообщением

Run that past me again! - a phrase that basically means: "Excuse me, could you repeat what you've been saying? I didn't quite catch that!"

Поделиться сообщением

Pull the other one, it's got bells on - this is what you can say if you feel that somebody is trying to fool you. Actually, it logically continues the expression You are pulling my leg, which means "You're trying to fool me"

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите в него для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас